Friday, June 8, 2018

Abu Dhabi and Burj Khalifa in Dubai

As previously mentioned, while Bob was busy with work in Dubai on November 7, 2017, I took a tour to Abu Dhabi.  It took about an hour to reach the next Arab emirate (or principality).  As the capital and the second most populous city of the United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi is a large and advanced metropolis.  It lies on a T-shaped island jutting into the Persian Gulf.  I won't take time to name all the unique buildings we saw on the tour, but suffice it to say, that Abu Dhabi is rich in architecture!


 Even the residential housing was impressive . . . at least in this wealthy part of town!


We made a stop at a cultural center to see a demonstration on ornate handmade rugs and wall hangings made with semi-precious stones (much like we had seen in India).  No photos were allowed.  And a date market introduced me to the many delicious varieties of dates and provided a sweet treat for the ride.  I had no idea that dates are a fruit of the coconut tree!


The main attraction on this tour was the Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, built from 1996-2007.  It reminded me of the Taj Mahal, but is much larger in scope.  We were provided with gowns to wear and were required to keep our heads covered with a scarf. Some key architectural features include seven huge chandeliers which are imported from Germany and laden with Swarovski crystals.  The Iranian carpet in the main prayer hall is the largest in the world.  The granite columns are inlaid with mother of pearl and others with precious stones.


Emirates Heritage Club Village was our next focal point.  Here we were able to watch craftsmen display their trade and reflect on traditional Arabian heritage.


I snapped a photo of the harbor across the street before climbing into our bus.  Our last stop was Ferrari World amusement park.  Unfortunately, we were there only to say we had seen it and perhaps pick up something to eat for dinner.  According to Wikipedia, it is the first Ferrari-branded theme park and has the record for the largest space frame structure ever built. Formula Rossa, the world's fastest roller coaster, is also located here.  You know I would have been on that ride if there had been  time!


 The drive across the wetlands on our way back to Dubai was quiet, with a bus load of tired people!


I spent my last day in the UAE shopping the Dubai Mall and going to the top of the world's tallest building!   From my taxi, I caught a glimpse of the world's largest "frame" in the heart of Dubai.  The mall features the world's largest indoor aquarium!  Have you noticed how everything in this country seems focused on being the world's fastest, biggest or tallest?


Nobody tells you that there is rarely a clear day from which to fully enjoy the views from Burj Khalifa, which opened in 2010 as the world's tallest structure.  It is, after-all, located in a dusty desert.  But it's something I just had to fork out the bucks for . . . just because!  And although I couldn't see the palm islands or the "world" islands, as I had hoped, there were some pretty amazing views from way up there!  Mission possible!

Chart From Wikipedia
 

While I loved seeing this part of the world, I think I will pass on a second visit when Bob returns in 2018.  And now let's move on to Jordan . . . something I was really excited about doing next!





No comments:

Post a Comment