Thursday, October 1, 2015

Splendid Seoul Arts Center


I had seen advertisements around Seoul for an exhibition that peaked my interest.  I had accompanied Bob on a business trip to South Beach Miami, where I visited the Botanical Gardens in May, 2008.  At the time, they were featuring sculptures by Fernando Botero.  He is a Colombian artist who features people and animals in large, exaggerated form.  I enjoyed his sculpting creativity and decided to go see if I would enjoy his paintings as well.  This gave me an excuse to finally visit the Seoul Arts Center, on September 22, 2015.  The large complex is the best venue for music, art, and drama in Korea.  I love the architecture of the opera house that is shaped like a traditional Korean hat sitting at the foot of a southern mountain.  The Symphony Hall cleverly suggests notes on a musical staff.  I invited my tennis friends, "J." and "Angela" to join me there for lunch.


A combination ticket was being offered at a discount, which included the design work of Antonio Gaudi.  I couldn't resist, having seen several of his amazing architectural designs in Barcelona, October 2010.  Two other galleries displayed the artwork of the Italians, Sandro Chia, and Amedeo Modigliani.  Because photos were not allowed of the actual artwork, I just took photos of all the advertising displays.

Below is a sampling of the works of Botero.  I've also included photos I took of his sculptures in 2008.

 

Gaudi's promotional displays are shown here along with my Barcelona photos from 2007.  His creative design ability is genius!  We visited four of his famous architectural creations including Casa Batllo, Park Guell, Casa Mila, and his ongoing masterpiece, the Sagrada Familia. 


Casa Batllo

Park Guell




Casa Milo

Sagrada Familia


 Several pieces by the Spanish artist, Joan Miro, were also on display at the Gaudi exhibit, whose abstract style is shown here. 


Sandro Chia


Amedeo Modigliani 


 I hope to return here again soon, perhaps to enjoy a theatrical or musical performance.








No comments:

Post a Comment