Monday, July 9, 2018

Twilight of 2017

With our children nestled back into their homes for the 2017 Christmas season, (it being the in-laws' year to have them for Christmas), I spent Monday, November 27th, as an outpatient at Houston Methodist Hospital.  Due to rheumatoid arthritis, my right hand had become somewhat deformed, and I decided to have surgery to regain better use of my fingers.  Arthritis had caused my bottom knuckles to become enlarged, which caused the ligaments that run over the top of those knuckles to become so stretched out that they shifted out of place and were no longer able to maneuver my fingers properly.  I was unable to type on a keyboard, or play the piano or move my fingers correctly in an up and down motion.  Dr. Rosen, my orthopedic hand surgeon, made an incision across the top of the knuckles on the back of my palm and cleaned out the inflamed tissue, shortened and realigned the ligaments, and reconstructed the ligament support across my hand.  He also clipped a ligament in my thumb to prevent "trigger finger", which I had been experiencing.


For six weeks following surgery I had to wear a brace on my hand and arm.  I could not get it wet and I had no idea how challenging life would be.  I needed my right hand!  I found myself googling such things as "how to put on a bra with one hand", and "how to apply make up with left hand".  Bob had to help me wash my hair and dress myself.  He had to help me slice, chop and prepare food as well as cut and slice the food on my plate as needed.  My poor hubby tried to help me with my hair, but opted to send me off to get it styled at the salon for several weeks.  Many of my everyday chores were relinquished to Bob.  I don't know what I would have done without him!  Thankfully, I was able to drive with my left hand, and therefore was mobile.  But for the most part, my December was spent at home.  Physical therapy was aimed at helping me function left-handed, and to try and reduce swelling in my hand.  December was a long, cold and dreary month as the year slowly ebbed to a close.

Bob conducted his first Conroe Stake Conference the Sunday after my surgery, which he arranged for me to watch from home.  He always does a fantastic job with his talks!  We received a record snowfall on the 8th of December, the first of three unusual snowstorms which occurred that winter.  Covering the plants to protect them from the freeze became another dreaded job for Bob, and fixing a forgotten broken pipe added to his burdens. 


Bob and I received a few early Christmas presents which we had ordered for our home, (which we were still trying to settle in to) including a living-room rug and chandelier.  We had managed to put up a Christmas tree - with lights that didn't work - and a few decorations prior to my surgery.  

 
My sweetheart and I celebrated a very simple and somewhat lonely Christmas holiday at home together.  We were grateful that our new friends, Lisa and Dave Prier (the former Stake President and his wife) invited us to their home for dinner and a program on Christmas Eve.


Our children were much more festive than we were!

Bobby and Jill's Family - or is it Rudolph's?

Stephanie and Ben's Family free-styling on the slopes in France

Chelsea and Thomas celebrating at home in Temple with his parents

Michael and Kristin's family capturing the colors of Christmas before Baby arrives

We really did have a nice quiet Christmas, and honestly had nothing to feel down about!  We are so very blessed!  Along with the blessings of strength to endure and the healing power of our Savior, Jesus Christ, our family is our greatest gift!

Check out this cute video which was debuting in Utah!  Bobby and Jill's family were featured in a commercial for Chuck-a-Rama restaurant! 


Twilight is always followed by a new dawn, right?  


 Goodbye 2017!




 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment