Saturday, November 13, 2021

Galway, Connemara and Clifden

 Bob and I were ready to leave The Burren, but stopped at Hazel Mountain Chocolate and Cafe to savor a sweet treat as we began the drive toward Clifden. While sipping our hot chocolate and sharing a couple of desserts, we noticed ruins across the road and cows meandering on the hillside - common sites in Ireland. What looked out of place with the rocky edge of The Burren in the background.



Before reaching the city of Galway, we pulled over to find something to eat near Dunguaire Castle. Galway Lake was quite dry, so the view was less that ideal. No luck finding food, but we ended up in a cute little "Fairy" store, with darling homemade fairy homes on display. It was just the kind of place I would imagine finding in Ireland, and it kind of made me want to create my own fairy wonderland when I returned home. Ireland is quite a magical place!


Galway was the largest city we had seen in Ireland to this point in time. Bustling crowds lined the streets - perhaps businesses were reopened after the pandemic. We roamed the streets for a while, but didn't find anything we needed to purchase or do. We found a beautiful cathedral built extensively with Connemara green marble - found only on the Emerald Isle.


We headed into the Connemara National Park after leaving Galway, and the landscape was so quaint and lovely. We were surrounded by lakes and gentle slopping hills dotted with small houses and streams. And in the middle of all this was the Joyce's Connemara Marble giftshop, where I fell in love with this special stone. I bought a small slab of marble to adorn a surface somewhere in my home. If it weren't so heavy, I would have brought home a large slab!  Across the street is the "Connemara Giant", of which it is said, you haven't visited Connemara without touching the hand of the Giant. The plaque below his feet reads:
THIS IS CONNEMARA
 (CONN SON OF THE SEA)
BUILT IN 1999
BY JOYCES CRAFT SHOP
 FOR NO APPARENT REASON

The triangular shaped marble form behind the statue is engraved with these words:
ON THIS SITE IN 1897 NOTHING HAPPENED.

And apparently, Bob took those words to heart as he lay down to rest while I went shopping!



Like every day, we pulled into Clifden at dinner time and feasted on one of the best burgers and fries I have ever had! Maybe I was just hungry, but that was a meal that just might lure me back to a little sports pub in Clifden someday!


Sleep Tight!






No comments:

Post a Comment